Saturday 21 October 2017

Old school memories: Weak heart

Putting off the writing of this topic is only possible when you have other things to write about, but I admit that an autobiography isn't complete without the details regarding matters of the heart and so, here goes. I had a weak heart - a very weak heart indeed, that it had the tendency to "crush" frequently and it kept on "falling" in love. 

I have vivid memories of a crush who lived in the girls' dormitory. Short of being able to let her know of my feelings I decided to put a flower - a white sweet smelling Magnolia flower, in her shoe at the rack outside the entrance of the dorm. She somehow got wind of who her secret admirer was and made a beeline for our house. It's only good that I saw her while afar off and hid myself - under my parent's bed. It was both an embarrassing and hilarious moment when my parents let her in to peek under the bed. What was so queer about this crush? She was in college and I was too young for school yet. It was at my final year in high school when I met her again - now a teacher, and we had a good laugh.

After that under-the-bed episode, as a kid growing up in the hills, I had a girl named after a flower, another who is now an accomplished musician in Las Vegas, and almost had one who now works as a nurse in LA - if only she just paid attention to what I was saying. I guess the second grade (I was 3rd grade) MJ was too engrossed in weeding her garden at school when I said "Ning, I love you!" that she didn't take notice, so I just let the topic drop. It's funny how my weak heart would get the most of me in impromptu moments, but somehow I managed to thrive on to high school where girls took the back seat in my life. Playing pranks and trying out adult stuff occupied my waking moments and I almost forgot that I had a weak heart.

College opened a new perspective for my heart problem. Registration time comes and I'm shocked to find too many beautiful ladies to count. So enrolling in a subject now depended on the presence of a heavenly figure who took my fancy. Joining glee clubs and other extra-curricular activities also relied on the same principle. I was sure back then that I wasn't chasing skirts around - I was just taking care of my weak heart. It is not my intention to mention the names of the sweet smelling ladies who helped me through college by being kind to my heart. Waking up their emotions now - since they are my friends in Facebook and might happen to read this, is the last thing in my mind.

Medical school was a different story, because my heart miraculously recovered and got well when a gorgeous 16-year old high school lass entered the picture. No longer would my failing heart need to be resuscitated every now and then. 

I was cured forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...