Saturday 14 October 2017

A doctor's life: Deuce

The provinces of Maguindanao and North Cotabato are considered like most provinces in Mindanao as "tennis country." I fell in love with the sport when I was in the 5th elementary grade and this affair carried on even in Moro land. One of the first things that I wanted to know when we were still surveying the area, was the presence of a tennis court. I was much relieved when I found out that Landasan had a tennis court and Parang had 3 tennis courts.

The tennis court in Landasan was inside the plywood factory compound and members of the club were the company's top brass. Being the company doctor, the use of the tennis court was one of the privileges that I enjoyed. One thing unique about this place was the tandem of booze and tennis. There would usually be a big platter of sliced green mangoes, shrimp sauce and a long bottle of Tanduay rum and a jug of ice on a table beside the court. The usual schedule for play was about an hour after working hours at 5 pm and on the weekend mornings. The club members here also made regular visits to Midsayap and other nearby towns for friendly games.

The other club that I frequented was the RECOM 12 headquarters of the police previously known as the Integrated National Police at camp Parang. This is a sprawling complex involving many hills and a long beach head. It had a golf course, a small hospital and a training camp for police recruits. I liked coming here to play with the officers who were PMA graduates and were really good hitters. The snappy salute of the guards at the gate as they opened it made me feel like an officer too. These guys and their families were my patients and I knew them personally. The best incentive for playing here was when a uniformed soldier would approach me after I had parked, and he would ask for the keys and leave with the pickup while I go inside the court to play. After a while the soldier comes back and gives the keys to me and says while saluting, "full tank na sir!" 

Yeah, gasoline was free and a tankful to boot. I learned later on that the gas that they were giving me was the allotted supply for the ambulance that was unused and was rotting on the driveway. I imagined that the rest of the officers in that unit also enjoyed this privilege. You bet that I always made sure that my tank was about empty when I came to play here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...