Monday 23 October 2017

A doctor's life: Hillbilly

If there is such a thing as a "certified hillbilly" - i'm one. I grew up in the hills with a pet billy goat. My dad was an all-around guy who didn't seem to tire - something that I apparently got from him. We had 60 egg-laying hens, about 20 assorted free range chicken, 40 doves, 3 goats, 2 sheep, a German shepherd dog, a parrot, an owl, parakeets, guinea pigs... and all the fleas, ticks and lice that come with these pets. 

I had the freedom to bike anywhere I wanted, climb the hills or swim the river that was nearby. Vehicular traffic was very little and there were more cows than cars. Air pollution was something we never thought of and the view that met the eye was hills and mountains, valleys and farmland to whatever direction you turned your gaze.

When the invitation came for me to connect with this place as a doctor, the memories of my childhood came flooding back like a happy movie. I thought of my kids and I knew that they too would love to grow up without the hassles and dangers of the city. My wife - a city girl, also saw the wisdom of bringing up children in the country, that it was not difficult for us to accept the invitation.

After getting settled from the hectic move from Landasan I started raising my own two active hillbillies. One thing I loved about my work here was the fact that I had all the time to be with my kids. All meals in the day were with them, I was just a short walk away from any of their activities when they needed me, and I was present in all the school events, recitals and ceremonies, which may not have been possible if I was a doctor at a hospital in the city. 

I tried my best to provide for them a similar atmosphere such as mine while growing up. Free range chicken, goats, at least 4 dogs, a horse, a pond with koi and tilapia with an island that was home to a dozen rabbits were the pets that my hillbilly kids grew up with. The ranch was our backyard and I'm sure that they had some fond memories there too.

I considered their friends as my own kids and our house was open for whatever purpose they wanted.  Frequent sleepovers, cookouts, tents on the law, jamming with their guitars, watching movies on Betamax, etc were all done at home. 

Our house was a regular hangout for the growing hillbillies and Jo ann and I loved it.



Hillbillies on the loose. I'm the guy at the 
extreme right. MVC is at the background 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...