Friday 20 October 2017

Old school memories: Erbing

Excuse me for bringing the topic up, but this guy - by all means, deserves a chapter in my autobiography. Not only was he a classmate in high school, he was also a 'teacher' back in the hyperactive years of my existence. We'll get to that teacher thingy later.

It is a wonder how soulmates find each other spontaneously and without deliberate effort. Erberto enrolled in my high school at Managa, was assigned to my class section - Mercury, and the rest is history. It was instant bonding without questions asked. Bromance is not a word you can use for this friendship, because it was purely based on our love for adventure and for outwitting authority, which we deemed back then as stifling and anti-fun.

He hailed from a nearby town - Bansalan, and commuted daily to school, while I was billeted in the dormitory and confined like a seminarian. This setup forged a teamwork that we believed was undetected by the school custodians and we relished our small successes in carrying out these clandestine activities. Erbing had a nice arsenal of resources at his disposal, one of which was a green mini bus named "Habagat" that they owned and this conveniently ferried us to our destinations without the fear of being caught. Another asset that he had was his Dad. Even up to this day I can't get over the thought of wishing that I had a Dad like him. 

On extra boring days we would escape to their home in downtown Bansalan and his Dad would welcome us in while bringing out some ice-cold San Miguel beer from the refrigerator. They had a Claire de Lune phonograph player with dozens of long-playing albums including our favorite Stylistics, Bread, Carpenters, Beatles, etc and you could imagine how I wished my own home was like this.

Now back to the teacher thing. On second thought I would rather liken Erbing to a facilitator of sorts, because he was the door to exciting activities like introducing me to the girls at the Holy Cross of Bansalan, some spirits in a glass and a chance to smoke a cigarette, which took some time to perfect to a flair. Quick movie escapades in the city was not a problem with the availability of the Habagat, and while on transit we would puff on our Marlboros like we were full adults. The adolescent stage for boys is quite awkward and insecure, and outings like this afforded some feeling of security and accomplishment, which we fancied amid the restrictions in our school life. I have always hated being held under curtailment, and outings with Erbing was actually breathing the refreshing air of freedom, while raising a clenched fist at authority.

One thing that I treasured about his friendship was the total absence of hypocrisy, pretense and a judgmental attitude and the much abounding sincerity that he offered and as manifested by his family as well. Something that is quite the opposite of the guys that I am used to rubbing elbows with whose parents were my parents' colleagues. You get what I mean? It was not easy to trust a friend from your church if you were into things that the church condemned even if he was doing the same things you did.

This friendship apparently is forever and Erbing will forever be my friend.

that's our school





No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...