Wednesday 11 October 2017

A doctor's life: Takig

Chills and shivering that cannot be relieved by layers and layers of blankets and clothing, because the cause of the cold is inside the body - not external. Yeah, imagine me in that condition inside a car under the heat of the sun with all the windows closed. It was not just another patient this time, rather it was the doctor who had contacted Malaria.

Our hospital like I described in the first story of this series, was built on a piece of land bordered by a swamp at the back and tall talahib grass on one side. Any epidemiologist will say that this is the exact picture of a mosquito breeding haven. You add to that the fact that this region is endemic for Malaria, and you have the correct equation for the disease that is heralded by "takig."

I don't treat malaria patients. That is common knowledge among the people in Landasan. It is because the government had a malaria center that diagnoses and treats this disease for free. Everyone here is aware of the signs and symptoms of this disease and they knew where to go when they thought they had it.

One thing that we noticed when we got to Landasan was the presence of the mosquito - Anopheles. It has a unique stance compared to the common mosquitoes in populated areas, and it is identified by the 45-degree angle that it makes with its tail pointed diagonally as shown in the photo below. It is easy to identify them when they are on a wall, because they look like small nails slanting on the wall, compared to the other type of mosquitoes with their bodies parallel to the surface.

It was one morning that I felt unusually cold and started to shiver. I right away realized that this could be Malaria. In a few more minutes my temperature rose, which was followed shortly by sweating - in copious amounts. I didn't waste time and immediately drove to the malaria center for my blood to be examined.  The smear came out positive for the ovale species and treatment was started without delay. 

I never had another attack after that fateful day. The immediate and complete treatment made sure that not a single parasite was left dormant in my liver.

Landasan - Malaria country. Beware!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...