Saturday 15 February 2014

a coming together...

... is just another way of describing what reunion is all about.

the month of february 2014 is special for me because I had the chance to hug the guys who mean so much to me. This was possible when I flew home to the Philippines for the primary reason of attending the first ever reunion of my class in medical school.

meeting the other guys outside of the class was the icing on the already delicious cake.

having breakfast with the best friends that medical school ever made. these guys are accomplished marathoners from new york to beijing to singapore and of course the philippines. they took me under their roof for a night. thanks bffs!!

a prodigal son come home... sort of, coz it has been a long time that I last kissed the mother of my wife. mong and chino's presence added to the blessedness of this reunion.

aha... so these two are together again? yeah... that's Erberto Arriaga - my buddy in high school who I consider my twin brother, teacher and partner in crime, etc. etc. Thanks bay and Mary for making my stay in the Philippines very memorable... and busog.


at cuzzin Inday Luz's (lady with a pillow) place in Guihing for dinner. the patatim was extra delicious.

that's the baby sister of my dad - auntie Sally. She's one of the two surviving siblings of dad and at 72 years she's as healthy as only a vegetarian can be. the last time i saw her was something like 8 years ago.

talk about favorites. I have long considered these guys as my favorite cousins in spite of the strong objection from different quarters of our clan (that claim is still subject to litigation). Toots (center) is a very successful real estate manager. just give her a few minutes and she'll convince you to buy a chunk of the philippines.

Auntie Oming - and I say that name with reverence and respect. she's mom's younger sister - the only aunt who understood by wayward ways and didn't pass judgment on me. she also set an example of wit and wisdom that i adore her for. at the age of 86 she has moved into the house of alzheimer and can only remember faces that are beautiful - a category that i failed to come up to. at this meeting she was just a week post-op for a hip replacement surgery and she was coping very well. our noses, cheeks, eyes, lips and chins will prove the irrefutable DNA connection.

 Bonch - auntie Oming's youngest baby and my most favored cousin and brother in Jesus. we've spent many years together as kids because he used to live with us in mindanao. I always wished that he was my true brother.

 who would ever imagine that fate would let this two guys meet? Bangkok was blessed to witness the bonding that Edmund and I went through in the many coffee shops, ice cream parlors, japanese restos, day trips to hua hin, river kwai, etc. as we attempted to resolve the questions of life in relation to the gospel and Jesus' love for us. it's only been about 6 years since we were introduced to each other, but it seems that we've been friends forever. Thanks Mon for the lunch and bonding moments during my short stop-over in Manila.

fraternity life didn't stop when i exited from medical school. I am honored for these guys to host a party while i was there and we had a good time reminiscing and planning. i was also introduced to the younger generation and i am awed by their zeal and energy in upholding the ideals of this brotherhood. thanks freres and soeurs for your time and effort in this event.

Bing, Tes and Anatole - the guys who made medical school enjoyable and memorable. they are now super successful consultants at the Davao Doctors Hospital and they didn't allow me to leave without having lunch with them. Thanks guys for always counting me as your treasured friend and I consider myself so blessed to be.

hahaha... reunited with the perfect combination of duckembryo+durian+carlorossisangria. what else can this bloke ask for? 

thank you Jesus for friends and family in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...