Thursday 27 November 2008

Santa Claus' visit

Santa is for kids! So what is an old grizzly like me doing with a write-up on Santa? Not that I was forced into this or dragged into a confrontation with this jolly old feller with a contagious holler. It’s still November and he should be up in the North Pole making a list and checking it twice, while making sure that Rudolf has enough hay to prepare him for the long flight.

I think he took a break long enough to come to Bangkok for a visit. This time he drove a Honda Civic and landed on the parking lot at Yanhee hospital. Even if the hospital has a chimney, I know Dr. Supot won’t like the idea of a Christian icon crashing into his Buddhist edifice. 

Herr Santa as I found out has an achtung-sawasdee khap accent with a fine holler of a laughter. He stands at least 6 feet tall, has short-cropped hair and doesn’t have the flowing white beard, just a couple of a few days-old stubble of an unshaved chin. 

What was he doing in my house? Well he ate dinner with us and exchanged some news about what he has been doing up north, which included the discovery of about 300 orphans just across the border into Burma from Mae Saang. After dinner we had a few Beerlaos and then he left with a big and warm handshake. That handshake made no mistake that he was indeed old Santa, coz he left some crisp paper with the image of King Bhumibol in my palm. 

Last Christmas I did a write-up about my predicament and how I would spend a very much different Christmas from my usual. This year would not be the same coz I would be able to give some presents to my family and some poor neighbors on our soi. Thanks to Herr Santa and to the God that we both serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...