Tuesday 21 June 2016

Why coming home to the islands is worth all the trouble

Hundred Islands - a group of rocky outcroppings in the gulf of Lingayen is practically the backyard of noah's kin in the maternal side with the ancestral home located at Alaminos Pangasinan. Summer vacations were a regular treat for for me and to come back now after so many years brings back memories in awesome detail.
satellite view of the hundred islands national park

Here are the reasons why the trip is worth all the trouble:

1. It is a chance to be with the guys that I used to share all those memorable vacations on and around the islands. L-R: Marilyn, Toots, Boots, Bong babae, Noah and Bonchit. the others who used to be with this bunch, but are not present are: Ethel, Jackie, Yvonne, Bitoy, Bong lalake and Ronnie.

2. The trip from manila is always with these guys (with whom i share my nasal and cheekbone features), although back in those days we were the kids and our parents had control over the following details: the type of vehicle - hired jeepney or regular bus, time of departure, where to stop, what snacks to bring, etc.

3. The food... includes the freshest seafood, the best padas bagoong, the best talong + shrimp paste fusion, etc. etc.

4. Gorgeous mornings:





5. Beautiful islands, pristine beaches, crystal clear water...





It was in these waters that I had the chance to accompany my mom's brother on early morning trips on a pumpboat to harvest the fish that where caught in the traps that we placed a day before. We also gathered arorosep - seaweeds that look like clusters of grapes. It was also here where I was introduced to scuba diving by a skinny instructor - Jackie.

This recent trip brought all the memories back and in a way gave me back my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...