Sunday 15 February 2009

The Matigsalug and me


I found a long lost memory card and I was happy to discover these pictures. They are the photos of my stint with the Tribal Missions Foundation International in 2007, and they represent the three trips to the mountains, including a 2-day white-water rafting trip on the Davao River from its source in Bukidnon.

The Matigsalug are a Manobo tribe of Bukidnon and Davao, Philippines. They live along the mountain rivers. TMFI is a non-government organization that works to uplift the living of the Matigsalug while bringing the gospel to them. Here's a poem I wrote for them.

A Mission to the Tribes

The trail is steep and slippery
My spine aches under the heavy pack.
It may be noon the sun is scorching
or raining and my feet can’t stay on track.

Sometimes we’re rafting on a river
That changes mood on every bend and turn.
Sometimes I wonder why I’m out here
When I could be some place where I can earn.

Tribesmen I meet shyly stare at me
Their red-stained teeth shining through.
The bare-foot, pot-bellied little children
Signify that I still have a lot to do.

These people live on the rugged mountain slopes
Or some safe distance from the raging water.
Their unhealthy bodies thrive on scanty meals
Their minds on fears that to us don’t matter.

I’m here today on a special mission
With some guys who were here before.
They have given up some comforts of this life
And are working for the uplift of the poor.

There is Pio the bitter-half of Sonia
Now don’t ask why I spelled it that way.
Bheng, Gaga, Lilet, Neng and Denden
All virgins until their dying day.

Next come Chris, Jeanette and baby Sophia
A family God made in love for the tribes.
Junjun, Tata, Jack and Rogie
Are some of my more macho vibes.

Belle, Lorie, Mimi and Manilyn
Are some office-bound personnel,
Agaw Cherai and daughter Allanie
Have their own life story to tell.

Betchie, Menchie and buddy Myong
Like myself have volunteered for the cause.
To Tribal Mission Foundation International Inc.
I give thanks and offer my warm applause.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Small world. You also know Kuya Pio? How did you come across my album? Well your pictures are way better po. hehe. I've even lost na nga the others eh dahil 2005 pa yata ito 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, small world. Christians who love the poor will find each other somehow... I found you when I googled tmfi and davao river. I was looking for photos to complete this album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. helping the helpless ...nice feeling .. God bless you more

    ReplyDelete

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...