Thursday 22 November 2007

City Adventure in Krung Thep

Trying to get lost in some big city like New York or San Francisco is not easy. But why try to get lost in the first place? Getting lost is the last thing that anyone who is new in a strange city would want to do. It’s like being dropped from a helicopter in the midst of a thick forest and trying to find your way home. You’re lost the moment your feet touches the ground.

Getting lost in New York is not easy simply because the streets are arranged in an almost straight, parallel and perpendicular manner, and the street names are found on each corner with readable and understandable English. People you meet also understand what you are asking for and readily give you the directions that you can comprehend.

On the contrary, finding your way around Bangkok is not an easy job, which means that getting lost here is very probable and predictable, especially if you really want to get lost. This type of adventure really beckons to me, and I succumbed to its lure one hot and humid morning. I had all the chances of getting lost; the unreadable street signs and bus routes, the Thai who can’t understand or speak English, the curved and jigsaw puzzle-like streets, and the low hanging clouds to hide the sun and diminish all bearing of east-west orientation.

I decided to leave the security of the house, which is just outside the main city, across the Chao Phraya River, and stake out on my own on foot or by bus. Taxi and Tuktuk would be out of the picture now to make it easier to get lost, although they could be on hand just in case I couldn’t get home by bus and because I finally would have acknowledged the grim fact that I was lost. I made sure that I had enough cash and that my passport was inside a pocket. Breathing a prayer for protection and courage I closed the gate behind me and started to get lost.

My trip that day took me by bus, then train, then by canal boat, then some 3 bus-rides more and a lot of walking in between, while trying to decipher and unlock the mystery of the colors of the buses, their numbers and eye and tail-like figures, and I was finally approaching the familiar bridge that told me that I was just a few miles to home.

This was the most challenging yet frustrating trip I had ever made, because I didn’t get lost. Calcutta? Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...