Wednesday 25 December 2013

It RUNS in the family

I have been running all my life and in many instances it was for these reasons: when my dad blew his whistle I had to run home or get a whacking, running away from a charging bull at the ranch behind our house and running in games which was my forte. Serious running only commenced when marathons or fun runs came to our country and certain groups were organized. 

The only run where I made a significant finish - third, was when I was in medical school and for that feat I got a large roasted turkey from the medical society that organized the run.

Fast forward to the most recent decade of my life and I'm pleased and elated to see my family join me in this sport. The most recent addition to the sport are my son and his fiance - Nok, who just did the 10K run in the Bangkok Int'l Half Marathon. 


over the King Rama VIII bridge across the Chao Phraya river




 the wife running on the mean streets of Bangkok on Queen Sirikit's birthday run


the daughter doing the Standard Charter Marathon on the 
sky ramp of Boromarachachonani 


the daughter's bf - JJ, doing the Columbia Trail Masters'

now here are the photos that really tug at my heart. check out the kid with number 172 at the starting line.

 this was at the Columbia Trail Masters Run 

yeah that's my granddaughter putting her heart and soul
into her run

 to her frustration the asthma kicks in and
I have to carry her the rest of the way

running has a funny effect on the hair. it's either your hair lies flat on your head, stands erect or gets blown away.

"against the wind, I'm still running against the wind.
I'm older now, but I'm still running against the wind." 
(Bob Seger)

5 comments:

  1. Nice papa Sunni! :) I'm now inspired to make a blog of my own.. hehehe but got nothing to write about yet.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you Gaw...Guess, I should start running too...that will be my New Year's resolution - keep moving. ...for a start. Girls and I will start today..

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Omar and gaw Nennen. yeah running is still the best exercise and blogging makes the run more memorable. you should keep your blog site warm gaw with the pics and stories of your runs with the girls. i know the three of you will paint a beautiful picture for your neighbors during your runs. wish i could be there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun fun fun!! to see but hard to do!! Walking lang sa ako bff Sunny boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're right Tune... it takes lots motivation and love for the sport to keep in it.

    ReplyDelete

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...