Wednesday 19 May 2010

Wanna go home


The “Land of Smiles” has been my home for 3 years now, and this period has been remarkably short enough to make me want less to return to my homeland. I’m not thinking about work opportunities or better standards of living compared to my own ‘Pinas.’ I’m talking about social relationships, gastronomical highs, travel options and vast opportunities as an instrument for God, among many others.

The Thai and their culture have attracted me so much to the point that I feel sorry for the culture of my own upbringing. I will admit that I am a hodgepodge of American, Spanish, Chinese and Pinoy traditions. These influences have basically made the Filipino culture a vague identity that is as flimsy as its icon – the barong tagalog. There is no such thing as a pure and undefiled Filipino culture in comparison to the strikingly distinct, attractive and outstanding Thai culture.

Thais, as far as I am concerned, are generally intricately artistic, sexually modest or unpretentious, courteous, polite, generous, non-violent and non-confrontational. You can eat out at the many sidewalk food stands or walk through the streets of Bangkok at night without fear or insecurity… and that was my perception until last night.

Now the grand structure of Thai culture in my mind is starting to crumble, thanks to the recent war among Thai factions deep within the heart of Bangkok. This crazy display of destruction fueled by pent up emotions have revealed that within the decent and well mannered social façade lies a monster that when fed well and let lose is capable of committing the most heinous and barbaric acts and can transform a country of smiles into a land ransacked and divided.

I have realized that Thailand is no different from the rest of the world and that all cultures are marching towards a great bottomless chasm.  This conclusion has only increased my desire to go home… to my ‘Pinoy’ homeland? Definitely not, because that would be jumping from one sinking ship to another.

Jesus, when we will you take me home?

11 comments:

  1. if you don't know where "home" is... ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are not new to this kind of thing .... we have bible subject during managa days and we know it is written and now it's happening everywhere...." when " is a big question mark but we know it is near.. yung nangyari dyan now , isa lang sa paalala ...you see... nagka time ka mag isip .....not one ay pag aari natin .... ready kana ba to go home? .... me?...not yet ..:-(((((

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say yes to your question... Zen. Jesus can come anytime to end this world and I am ready. The signs of the end do not worry me a bit. I'm spiritually packed and ready to take off even without notice. You can get into the same mode I am by simply asking the Holy Spirit to seal you, and once you are sealed you are sealed forever and you can take off any time. Please read Ephesians 1:13&14 Hope you get sealed soon. Take care friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks sun, i will read that verses... take care too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let your heart be troubled, man. War is over...

    ReplyDelete
  6. incredible coincidence: Jesus spoke it, St. John quoted it and my Buddhist friend writes it. bro... all john Lennon could say was "Imagine" and John Denver croons - "Country road take me home." I'll just rest in the thought that I'm lucky you dropped by. thanks buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Imagine" is Lennon's dig on Buddhism. Ever wondered why he stuck it out with a Jap wife? He's seen the light and made a career out of these cliched Asian truths which stunned the unknowing West. But anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Most important is finally there's a light at the end of the long and winding tunnel in Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there you go again... two songs in one phrase. barry gibbs' "to love somebody" and paul mccartney's "the long and winding road." mindmusic does it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you really went for the jugular, using that Ronald Reagan phrase...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your profile pic says it all. screaming "wanna go home!!!" :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hy, philip awesome post, it is unique and informative. I have just bookmarked this site in my favorites so will be visiting your page often. Regards

    dissertation method

    ReplyDelete

 Kailee's most recent thoughts - November 30, 2022 Hi loloooo Enter Kailee I know this is really sudden but I just wanted to show you th...